Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Writing in Real Life

It's easy enough to think that writers sit at their computers and cool stuff magically leaps from brain to page.  For me, it doesn't quite work that way.  I spend a lot of time thinking, researching, outlining by hand, and working out scenes in my head.  This goes on for weeks, sometimes months, as I try to figure out what happens next, and then it goes down on the page.  When I have a project going, I do make a solid effort to write every day, even if only a hour or two.
Now that the first draft of The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy, Book Two:  Chasing Dreams (tentative title) is finished, I need to catch up on all the things that I let slide during the last exciting rush of writing the last parts.
Today, I'm stacking firewood, as a cord was delivered early this morning.  I think I'll be using about a cord and a half a year.  I'm still learning how to efficiently use the wood stove.  I have a perfectly good and quite economical gas heater that works very well, but I like the feel of the heat the wood brings.  Here, firewood is almost all cleared wood from defunct orchards and fires, and also logging waste and deadfall.

The pictures show one of the great benefits of living here.  I have so many ski areas to choose from, and all have splendid and different views.  In this picture, I'm skiing a run on which I can get my turns back up to snuff, and couldn't resist sharing the wonderful views.

Came down from over there on the left, on a nice, groomed run.

And this is where I'm going.  Down, that is.  This is a stopping point at the top of a chair that serves the lower part of this (total) run.



No comments:

Post a Comment